Are you planning a wedding? Have you considered a date that's on or near a major holiday or 3-day weekend? There are some benefits, and also potential drawbacks to having a holiday wedding. Holidays and 3-day weekends can effect honeymoons, guest availability, wedding business/vendor schedules, and other less thought about aspects in either positive or negative ways.
Here are some basic things to consider:
- You'll need to give guests more advanced notice for holiday weddings
- Some vendors are busier near holidays, depending on the holiday and the vendor type. For example, florists are VERY busy around Memorial Day. Caterers and bakeries are swamped during Thanksgiving. DJ's are booked for New Year's Eve. Venues are rented for 4th of July celebrations, etc.
Honeymoons, lodging and flights can potentially be more expensive during holiday weeks.
- Every year your anniversary will fall on or near a holiday (could be a + or --, depending on the holiday!)
- For traveling guests and honeymoon purposes, holidays give you extra days off from work
- Holidays offer fun wedding themes automatically, if desired
- Traffic can either be better or worse on holidays (depending on the holiday)
- Verify with vendors that they are indeed working that day if it's a major holiday, i.e. Christmas, Thanksgiving, etc.
- Holidays and holiday weekends are just fun!